Thursday, April 15, 2010

For O

For Oliver, who recently lost a friend.


It’s strange that the sun was shining like any ordinary day;
The heat so oppressive that I should have known something was wrong.
The world so bright, when something dark had happened.

It’s strange that my lungs deflated when I found out
And sat empty for a long moment before I remembered to breathe in again
And your lungs will rest forever more.

It’s strange that the first person I wanted to call
Was you; to share the news and hear words of comfort.
Even stranger when I realized I can never dial your number again.

It’s strange that long forgotten memories
Flood my head and make it hard to see reality.
Strange, how I can hear your voice like you’re still with me.

It’s strange that I’ll wake up tomorrow morning and the world will go on
Without you as if nothing changed, as if no life was robbed and it’s strange that
I’m one of the few who knew you and will notice the difference.

It’s strange that
When reality set in
And I came to terms with what was lost,
The heavens opened and cleansed the earth
Crying for me.
Crying with me.

1 comment: