Tuesday, August 24, 2010

They say bad things happen for a reason but no wise words gonna stop the bleeding

I got to escape Virginia over the weekend. I can't say that it was about damn time to get out.... because I did spend a week in New England a month ago. But shit has really hit the fan around here this past month, so escaping even for two days was totally necessary for my sanity. The only thing that might have thrown a wrench into it was that I traveled with my dad... and if you all recall from a few posts back... we weren't on the best of speaking terms. But we played nice... and totally ignored the issue at hand... because the entire reason for the trip was to go support my uncle (his brother) who was being inducted into his high school's hall of fame for football accomplishments.

Let me just start out by saying how ignorant I've been of everything my uncle actually achieved while he was a football player. Scratch that. I've been totally ignorant of everything my uncle achieved during his life thus far. I had no idea he was an All-American. Had no idea he could have gone pro if he didn't elect to coach instead. Fascinating stuff.

It was a great weekend. I haven't seen this uncle and his wife in years... probably since 2001/2002, the year after Mommom died. It's kind of sad that she was the strongest piece of glue holding the family together, but on the other hand, I get it. We're all growing up. We've all got seperate lives now. Plus I think it's awkward with my parents being separated and the rest of the family still in working marriages... maybe not and I'm just paranoid.

I just love being able to spend time in Steeler Country. Normally it doesn't bug me that I live in Deadskin territory, but around football season when you walk into Target and see Redskins merchandise for cheaper prices than buying it online, it kind of bites. Plus, being able to watch games on TV without needing special channels to view it is nice too.

We even stopped in Pittsburgh on our way home Sunday. I think Dad was really trying to suck up to me at this point, lol. I can't even express how much I love that city. I'd been tense all weekend, but as soon as I drove through the Ft. Pitt tunnel and saw the city laid out in front of me, I couldn't stop smiling. Ft. Pitt has got to be the best tunnel, EVER. It's just the greatest thing ever to be driving down the parkway with Mount Washington in front of you and no view at all of the city that's behind it. Then you enter the tunnel and of course everyone slows down (which never makes any sense to me...) and I always unconsciously start rocking back and forth in my seat trying to will the cars to move faster. Then the darkness starts fading. First, just a little... enough to tease you (is the end of the tunnel coming? mmmm... maybe!) and then it's somewhat blinding (you know, darkness around the edges of the car, but just a bright blinding light ahead) and then volia! No more tunnel; just a bright yellow bridge and sky and skyline. To the right is Station Square and all of it's glamour, but beyond that at about 2 o'clock is my happy place.

Needless to say, it was a fight to get me home.



...cuz when a heart breaks, it don't break even.

No comments:

Post a Comment