Saturday, August 14, 2010

What amazes me...

Is people who are able to post something to their blogs almost daily.

I'm starting to read books for school (which I mentioned last post) and the two that I've started so far are both blogs turned into books. The one that I mentioned last entry is called "My war...Killing time in Iraq" and is by a solider who was stationed in Iraq just after the occupation began back in 2003. The second book is called "Baghdad Burning" and is by an Iraqi woman who lives in Baghdad (or did, back in 2003) and is documenting everything around her as it goes on.

Now, granted, I'm not living in a war zone (thank god) nor am I a solider in a foreign country (again, thank god) but I'm truly amazed that they have something to write about nearly everyday. AND they both had a group of followers. Now, they started these blogs back when blogging was new and if you didn't have a blog you went online and found someone's blog to follow, but good lord I've had this thing since March and I only have 4 followers... and half of you never check the website (I guess it would help if I posted more often, huh?).

Both books are shocking, especially if they're 100% true (I'm not saying they've been fabricated, but people tend to embellish stories when they know they have a following). I want to feel sorry for the girl who writes in Baghdad Burning, but sometimes she makes comments that makes it hard for me to feel sympathy for her. She's very adamently against the war (and I don't blame her) but takes every punch at America she can take... and then claims she doesn't hate us. I'm sure my opinions of her would fall right into her perceived view of us Americans, but her blog is very difficult for me to get through. I finished "My War" in two days and didn't want to put it down. I've been reading Baghdad Burning for three days and I'm only 100 pages in (those of you who know how fast I read will know this is significantly slow). But I highly recommend these two books for anyone who wants a better idea of what really went on over there right after the war started. And prepare to be slightly horrified. You dont' realize the lack of "Freedom of press" until you realize what the news stations left out. But I've never been a believer of the validity of freedom of press anyways...hence my switch from journalism to English as a major...

No comments:

Post a Comment